Home composting is an economical alternative to throwing yard and food waste into the garbage or hauling it to a transfer station. Composting is a "natural" form of recycling that takes ordinary organic waste and transforms it into a soil amendment that improves the health of plants. In Spokane County there are several ways to make sure your organic material is composted.
- Subscribe to Clean Green collection through your service provider. Click here for more information.
- Self-haul organics to the Clean Green area of any of three transfer stations. Click here for more information.
- Home Composting. Build your own back yard composting system. Download a brochure on how to get started.
Check this out: Composting 101
The Benefits of Composting at Home:
Composting food, yard, and garden waste at home helps you:
- Produce your own rich, beneficial soil additive
- Discard less garbage and pay lower garbage bills
- Return nutrients to the soil such as phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, zinc, manganese, iron and boron
- Reduce your dependency on chemical fertilizers
- Conserve earth's resources
- Protect and improve your environment