Scrappy2 Residential Food Scrap and
Food-Soiled Paper Collection

Spokane County residents will have the option to recycle most food scraps and food-soiled paper with their Clean Green yard debris. Residents can add food scraps to their curbside Clean Green cart along with yard debris for collection by their garbage hauler.

All Spokane County residential customers can also bring food scraps with yard debris directly to the Clean Green drop-off areas at Spokane Regional Solid Waste System facilities:

  • Waste to Energy Facility, 2900 S. Geiger Boulevard
  • North County Transfer Station, 22123 Elk-Chattaroy Road
  • Valley Transfer Station, 3941 N. Sullivan Road

All three facilities are open daily, from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Questions? Check the list below for answers. You can also call the Recycling Hot Line - 625-6800. You can also read the Summer 2010 "One Man's Trash..." newsletter for tips on collecting food scraps and food-soiled paper.

Frequently Asked Questions
(click on a question to see the answer)

What materials are acceptable and not acceptable as Clean Green?
Acceptable items include:
Fruit & vegetable scraps
Meat, fish, poultry, and bones
Bread, pasta and grains
Eggshells and nutshells
Coffee filters and grounds
Tea bags and tea leaves
Dairy products (non-liquid)
Pizza delivery boxes
Food-soiled paper towels and napkins
Paper grocery bags
Uncoated, non-shiny paper products
Houseplants (no pots, shake off dirt)
Tree branches (under 6’ long & 3” thick)
Twigs, branches, and roots
Sod (3 inches thick, no dirt and rocks)

Please DON’T put these items in your Clean Green cart:
No plastic bags, containers
No liquids
No “shiny” paper
No milk or juice cartons
No personal hygiene products
No diapers
No Styrofoam
No plastics of any type
No pet waste or litter
No grease
No glass
No aluminum foil
No metal of any kind
No treated wood
No dirt or rocks
No materials with offensive odors

When in doubt, leave it out!

(Return to top)

What is food-soiled paper?

Food-soiled paper is paper from the kitchen that has food on it. Food-soiled paper includes: paper napkins, paper towels, uncoated paper plates, coffee filters and cardboard pizza delivery boxes. If the paper is shiny or plastic-coated in any way, it will not be accepted.
(Return to top)

Can I recycle my used coffee cup and paper take-out containers with Clean Green?

It depends! Many paper products have a plastic coating that does not break down sufficiently in the composting process. If there is a plastic coating on the item, it will look shiny and feel smooth. These items are not allowed in the food and yard waste cart. It is not always easy to tell, so when in doubt, leave it out!
(Return to top)

Is it okay to put food scraps in milk or ice cream cartons in the Clean Green cart?

No. These and other dairy containers have a plastic coating that does not break down in the composting process, so they are not acceptable to include with your Clean Green. You should throw them away with regular garbage.
(Return to top)

How do I collect food scraps and food-soiled paper in my kitchen?
Find a reusable kitchen scrap container that you will keep in a convenient location in your kitchen for food scraps and food-soiled paper. Empty this container often into your Clean Green cart or other outdoor container.
(Return to top)

What type of container should I use in the kitchen?

Any convenient container can work, such as a plastic pitcher or lidded ice bucket. Something with a tight-fitting lid will help prevent odors and insects. Commercial kitchen scrap containers are also available in local stores and on the Internet.
(Return to top)

How can I participate?
If you currently subscribe to a Clean Green yard debris collection service, you can include food scraps with your yard debris in your Clean Green cart beginning July 12, 2010. If you do not presently subscribe to a weekly Clean Green yard debris collection service, please call your garbage hauler to request this service.

  • City of Spokane Solid Waste Management – 625-7878
  • Waste Management, Inc. – 924-9400

(Return to top)

What if I live in an area that doesn’t have curbside yard debris collection available?

You can:

  • Bring your acceptable Clean Green materials to one of the Spokane Regional Solid Waste System facilities:

    -- North County Transfer Station, 22123 Elk-Chattaroy Road (Intersection of Elk-Chattaroy Road and Highway)
    -- Valley Transfer Station, 3941 N. Sullivan Road
    (South of Trent across from Spokane Industrial Park)
    -- Waste to Energy Facility, 2900 S. Geiger Blvd.
    (West of Spokane across from the Washington State Patrol)

    These locations are open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Residents who choose this option should bring in their yard debris and/or food scraps on a weekly basis to avoid odor and pest concerns. The material will be inspected by site staff and only accepted as Clean Green if it is free of contamination, and presents no odor or liquid issues. The Clean Green rate is a minimum of $5.00 for 280 lbs. or less, and 35 cents per additional 20 pound increment.

  • Learn about composting at home and create your own compost.
    Food is a challenging material to compost properly in a home compost bin. For further information about how to begin your own home composting bin, call the Spokane Regional Recycling Hotline at (509)625-6800.

(Return to top)

Won’t the food scraps attract pests?

No. When managed properly, residential food scrap and yard debris collection does not attract pests any more than regular garbage collection does.

Remember, this is a voluntary option. If you are not comfortable putting certain kitchen food scraps in with your Clean Green materials, put them in with your garbage. You can avoid many problems by including only acceptable materials.
In your home:

  • Always keep the lid of the food scrap collection container closed.
  • Line the container with newspaper or food-soiled paper to absorb liquids.
  • Clean your kitchen containers regularly. Empty your container often.
  • Roll the food scraps in newspaper and store it in your freezer until your curbside collection day or until you take it in to a SRSWS facility.


  • Use newspapers or a paper bag to wrap the food scraps before placing in the Clean Green cart or other outside container.
  • Always keep the cart/container lid closed.
  • Rinse your cart or container on a regular basis. (Dump the waste water on the lawn or garden, not down the storm drain.)
  • Be sure to place your Clean Green cart weekly at the curb by early morning on the days that your garbage hauler has scheduled pickups. If hauling your own Clean Green, take it to an SRSWS facility weekly.

(Return to top)

Do I have to put food scraps in with my Clean Green yard debris?

No, it is up to you if you want to place food scraps in with your Clean Green yard debris.
(Return to top)

What happens when Clean Green curbside service is suspended during the winter months?
The Clean Green curbside collection program will follow the same annual collection schedule as in the past. Contact your garbage hauler for further information about the seasonal collection schedule in your service area.

For residents hauling directly to SRSWS facilities, Clean Green is accepted year-round.

Including food scraps in your Clean Green is voluntary and you can place them in your regular garbage cart if necessary.

(Return to top)

Why should I recycle food scraps?
It’s a great opportunity to contribute to recycling and sustainability. More than one third* of Spokane County’s residential waste consists of yard debris, food scraps and food-soiled paper. By participating, you can decrease the amount of food waste disposed of as solid waste.
(* Source 2009 Spokane County Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Plan, Appendix B Waste Flow Analysis)

It’s a smart thing to do! You may be able to reduce the size of the garbage containers that you subscribe to. You can also save water, energy and sewer capacity by not using a sink disposal to dispose of food waste.

(Return to top)

What happens to the food scraps, food-soiled paper and yard debris once they are collected?

All of the residential food scraps and yard debris collected as Clean Green are taken to a fully-permitted composting facility where it is turned into compost, a nutrient rich soil amendment. This compost is used to enrich gardens and landscape projects, and is for sale to residents.
(Return to top)

Can commercial customers like grocery stores and restaurants recycle food scraps?
Commercial customers should contact their garbage hauler for commercial food scrap collection information.
(Return to top)

Can my lawn service collect my food scraps?

Lawn services are not allowed to bring food scraps to a SRSWS facility as Clean Green.
(Return to top)

Top ^  
Home | Regional Disposal Sites | Waste to Energy | Public Outreach | Info Library
About Us | Contact Us | Sitemap